Friday 4 May 2012

Message boards

Ok so as part of week three of this course I have set up a profile and submitted some comments on Sheffield Forum which is a local message board. I have read about the Abe message board and am fully aware of what they are for etc but decided to actually submit an spend time navigating my way around the Sheffield Forum because it was of more interest to me.

It's pretty good really! You can find out all kinds of crazy things about Sheffield and the surrounding area as well as promote your business, buy and sell things, ask for opinions and read reviews... there's quite a lot going on! Here is a link to the message board: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/

The course recoemmnded starting a MySpace account but the PCs in our library don't allow access to social networking. However, I have a Facebook account which I use in my own time so am aware of what they are and how they work. I can however, understand why access to these sites is restricted in libraries and schools. The majority of students at my place of work are 16+ and use these sites to interact with friends/family etc about social events. Before these sites were banned, students would come into the library, log on to facebook and stay on there for as long as possible meaning that the Pcs were in use but not being used for work. BAD TIMES.

Since banning social networking, we have fewer problems with patrolling and policing what the students are doing: games are instantly banned but occurances of students playing these reduces dramatically as the academic year goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment